As an owner of a vintage furniture store in Vancouver, Gild & Co., I feel I have pretty good credibility for rating… Here is my round-up of the top ten vintage furniture stores in Vancouver. Stores have been price rated from low to high using one to four dollar signs ($).
1. The Sellution ($) – well-known second hand furniture shop on Main Street at 16th. Don’t expect to like everything in the store, but they often have some great pieces and stock changes frequently. I am still kicking myself still for not buying the seven foot long walnut mid-century modern credenza I saw there a while ago.
I purchased the sofa in my living room, as below, from Sellutions.
2. Scott Landon Antiques ($$$)- by far the best “modern” antiques dealer in town. They have amazing droolworthy pieces, mostly American and Canadian industrial antiques. I’m just waiting for them to take me on a buying trip…
3. Gild & Co. ($$$) (*cough, this is my store) New to Vancouver (opened June 2013), Gild & Co. mixes vintage and new, focusing on top-quality furniture, antiques, and unique, colourful textiles and home décor. Timeless pieces, from Bergere chairs, tufted sofas and gilded mirrors to modern Danish designs and rustic Canadiana antiques.
4. The Antiques Warehouse ($$$$) on Marine Drive near Cambie Street. Huge selection of French antiques. This is where a client purchased her Bergere chairs, as seen here, redone in cowhide. I also want to go on a buying trip with these guys.
5. By Design Modern ($$$) on Main Street near 30th Ave. If you love mid-century modern, this is the place for you. The showroom is utilirian and furniture focused so not the place to look for accessories or decorative pieces. Sofas, chairs, tables – yes. Rugs, vases, lava lamps – no.
6. Mid-Century Modern Home ($$) on Quayside Drive Street in New Westminster. Also for the mid-century modern fan. Great selection of furniture and home decor.
7. Folkart Interiors ($$) on West 10th at Alma. This place has been around for years. Don’t be scared by the name and the silly/random/folksy things outside; they have some covet-worthy harvest tables
and rustic pieces that would add charm to a contemporary interior. If you love a modern farmhouse look, this is your place.
8. Fullhouse ($$$) on West 4th near Fir. I was tempted to keep this one off the list because it is mostly new furniture now, but the vintage that they do have is great. Fullhouse also gets high marks for quality. I’m a buy-for-quality kinda girl. Buy something here, you have it for life. Again, they focus on mid-century modern and Scandinavian designs.
9. At Home ($$$) in West Vancouver. While this boutique mainly sells giftware and decorative home ware, the vintage furniture they do have is beautiful and not mid-century modern (which is difficult find in this city). Antiques that you want in your home. Well-designed antiques that stand the test of generations. Bonus – they are located across the street from Savary Island Pie Company…mmm….
10. JoJo’s Place on Main Street. Best selection of industrial tables and antique iron beds. Will make custom pieces to your specifications.
See shop locations in the map below (I’m a map dork like that, what can I say, I like making maps).
View Top Vintage Furniture Stores in Vancouver in a larger map
Others not mentioned:
Refind ($$). Antiques and mid century modern.
Sugar Barrel Antiques ($$$). On Main Street. One of the last standing of the original antique shops in Vancouver.
Attic Treasures ($$). More mid-century modern.
Surrounding ($$). Not in Vancouver, but the best store ever. I say that because this is my inspiration store. My unofficial mentor, and really probably my favourite furniture store in the world. Surroundings is in Cooke Street Village in Victoria. A very lovely place to spend a Saturday afternoon.
Antique Direct ($$$) on Franklin Street near Clark and Hastings. Huge showroom. Large selection of interesting chandeliers and cabinets/armoires.
If I missed a seriously good treasure, please let me know!